Sunday, September 27, 2015

Venice Beach

Yesterday , September 26 , me along with several other friends went to Venice beach for a friends birthday. The day was going as planned , as my friends and I skated along the bike path parallel to the glistening water that was Venice beach. We proceeded to reach our destination which was the renowned skatepark which lays in the heart of beach. Once we arrived , we immediately attempted to reach the goals we had set earlier , as far as the tricks we wanted to land on certain obstacles around the park. I don't want to bore you with the details , putting into consideration that a majority of the people reading this wont understand the trick names , lingo , and other terms relating to skating . To make a long story short , we skated around the park for several hours and once we were all satisfied with the tricks we had landed  , we decided it was a suitable time to go eat lunch. We exited the park , and skated down the bike path which lead us directly to the lunch spot. All of us began to mellow down after a long day of skateboarding , and enjoyed our meal. In the middle of eating , my friend/classmate Dax and I heard something that was rather upsetting to us...

Across from where we were eating, a small group of men were reciting bible verses and bashing homosexuality. Normally I would respect someones opinion like how I hope they would respect mine. However , these people had the audacity to publicly cry out about how they believed homosexuality was wrong and how being gay was the route to all evil . I decided to confront them , along with Dax. We politely asked them questions regarding their way of thinking and what lead them to the conclusion that being gay was wrong, and we received the usual answer about how it says it all in the bible. I told them that it is an unalienable right that you are entitled to life , liberty , and pursuit of happiness and that if being gay makes you happy neither you or the government can take that away from someone. It was at this point that the group of men began to make up fake statistics surrounding gay people , and saying things that were rude , vulgar  , and began to show several signs of aggression. At this point we decided it was in our best interest to leave , because we weren't looking for any sort of physical altercation.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself humanitarian of any sort , I just believe in the fair and ethical treatment of all human beings. People that are gay , straight , black , white , etc. are still just that , people. To treat someone poorly based on the soul reason that they are gay is disgusting , and although everybody is entitled to their own opinion , I still firmly believe in what I have to say. If I offended you or your religion , I apologize because that was not my intent. Everything I said is merely an opinion , and I am entitled to it just as you are entitled to yours.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you did a good job , it was a very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete